View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Jim Allen
5.4L Econo Box

Plugger - '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4 XL
I owned a Chevette diesel, generally liked it, and worked on and drove a lot of Rabbits as a VW tech. I'd choose the Rabbit just because of the 5-speed. The Chevette will be a 4-speed. Nothing else offered, but it didn't look too hard to install an Isuzu 5-speed into it. The 1.8L Isuzu engine in the Chevette is loads more durable (being an industrial powerplant) than the Rabbit but it's been out of production a long while. Engine parts availability might be better for the Rabbit. Is the Rabbit a turbo or non? If a turbo, that's another plus for the Rabbit. One thing to watch on the Chevettes is that the springs are really cheezy and sag like mad. But then, the low rider thing is good for the aero side. If you buy the Chevette, I've got a factory service manual to sell you!

My ultimate goal is not necessarily the highest mpg but to make my trucks more efficient configured as I need them.

Old Reliable '86 Ford F-250HD 4x4, 6.9L diesel

Red '00 Honda Accord Coupe, 3.0L V6, automatic

The Plugger '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4, Regular Cab, 8-ft bed, 8,200# GVW, 5.4L V8, automatic, 4.10:1 ratios, 285/70R-17D tires