View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #26 (permalink)
Jim Allen
5.4L Econo Box

Plugger - '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4 XL
My opinion is the Isuzu engine is the more durable of the two and should respond well to WVO. Again, the downside is the relative lack of parts for the Chevette compared to the Rabbit (depends on your skills as a scrounger). I have a vague recollection that injection pump parts are tough to get for the Isuzu. It wasn't a dire problem for me as mine had low miles and had been well taken care of. There aren't many efficacious FE mods possible for either engine, beyond a few generic bolt-ons and both engine would respond equally I think. Both were quite zippy... especailly for NA engines. Mydiesel Rabbit experience was in the pre-TDI days. Most of your mods will be to the chassis and body and the OD 5-speed in the Chevette would be a vital one to consider..

My ultimate goal is not necessarily the highest mpg but to make my trucks more efficient configured as I need them.

Old Reliable '86 Ford F-250HD 4x4, 6.9L diesel

Red '00 Honda Accord Coupe, 3.0L V6, automatic

The Plugger '05 Ford F-150HD 4x4, Regular Cab, 8-ft bed, 8,200# GVW, 5.4L V8, automatic, 4.10:1 ratios, 285/70R-17D tires