View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #234 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
Got one of the better fuel trips on the last tank. It helped that I had a job interview combined in this tank. Squeaked in 27.6mpg. That's just ~1mpg under my best commuter tank. Not bad considering there was only one day where we broke 50 degrees And most the mornings were sub forty. Also had to use a the defroster a few times because of wet weather.

I was folding in the side mirror; and I added some extra winter grill blocks.

Unfortunately....

....yesterday I was instructed to take my brother snow driving in his Subaru. Which we then proceeded to dump into a ditch.....and a dirt mound....and ultimately a giant rock along a back road. So much for trying to help him get better at snow driving. :-/. We are both okay, no airbags, no busted radiators, but we were high centered on the driver side on the dirt mound. The face of the car took a bad beating off the large rock as well. We were saved by a mystery man named Stu who helped us unwedge the Subaru. One of the tires on the front/rear were air born and his Outback lacks the LSD differentials (air born spinning tires). I felt so bad for my brother. But even with destroying the front bumper, crushing the support, bending the upper and lower radiator cores, busted fog and headlight, ripped out the wheel liner, and burnt the floor mats trying to escape, the car is 100%. Drove right out once Stu got the other front wheels back on the ground. My old man arrived on the scene and we looked it over. The damage really isn't much more than cosmetic. Didn't touch the motor,oil pan, trans pan, etc. And the core support folded only slightly, but because of the evenness in the bend, the radiator was fine.

Body shop and insurance are going to love us...but at least we're both okay. And still got home in time to leave for thanksgiving dinner at a family member's house.