View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Thanks. I'll reprice shipping with them bound in pairs. Maybe it'll be less than the single price...

Regardless, I think I'm going to ask EM's closest-to-me New York member if I could have them sent to his place & I'll go pick them up. (He's actually much closer to me by boat than by car... but I know that going by boat -- especially at this time of year -- will raise a giant Customs & Immigration eyebrow and complicate things even more).
Shipping tires is as simple as packing tape.

Last time I shipped some tires, they were shipped oversize... then again, they were 54" off-road tires, too.

You can tie them together with sisal twine and then packing tape over that. Tie/tape them in three places around the tires, banded in pairs, and affix a shipping label similarly.

You probably won't want to ship them all four as a pack, because that will exceed dimensional-weight restrictions, probably. It may not. (Dimensional weight is what USPS uses when something has an odd shape or is larger than specific dimensions. It just means they base the price on size rather than weight.)

I know that as long as it's less than 70lbs, you can ship it USPS.