View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Gentlemen (and women :D) - Help me with a strategy

Scenario...

I need to move a human powered vehicle to Madison, WI and back (~2642 miles total). Due to, "complications," it looks like I probably can't take my car to do so (the plan was to strap it to my roof and go - just like last summer with last year's vehicle).

Last I checked, a teammates truck was offered (2005, v8, crew cab, probably 25 gallon tank, big). He says he maybe gets 17mpg highway.

I need to do this smartly, we've only got a budget of $500 for fuel and hotel (during the drive) - otherwise we pay out of pocket.

I paid $3.369 yesterday for gas - national average yesterday was 3.445. I'm thinking I'll wrangle up some 5 gallon fuel containers. Fill up at home where gas is a little cheaper than the surrounding areas.

Then use the 5 gallon tanks to even out in areas where fuel is more expensive. So if we refuel in a "high price gas" area, it'll be offset with the cheaper 5 gal gas (which would be refuel later in a lower priced station).

Yes, I know it's effort - but think budget.

I may go as far as camping on the way home... But, on the way up, I need a good night's sleep for the competition and don't want to risk feeling like crap before I present our vehicle before the judges (I need to think quick and present effectively).

Any other suggestions - aside from the obvious (air up tires, quickie grille block, etc.) The bad part - I can't get the SG to work in his car (it doesn't even power on).