View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
If the car averages 17mpg in daily driving, I think you could push it to 21mpg relatively easily if it's all highway mileage.

My number one suggestion is to slooow down. I realize interstates usually run at 70-80mph, but it is your legal right to drive 55mph. There should be no reason to feel unsafe as you are driving a fuel size pickup...big rigs will overtake. Your trip will take much longer, but you have several people driving so who cares?

You probably have leftover material, so start building some hasty aeromods. A grill block, rear wheel skirts, and an aeroshell made of composite supports and a scrounged plastic drop sheet would do nicely. Using a low-tack tape to stick everything together should prevent the paint from being damaged.

I like the jerry can idea, but it'll only work if you can get the cans free. Start scouring gasbuddy.com along your route and pick out the absolute cheapest gas you can find (remember, places like ARCO are only cheap when paid with cash). 20 gallons + 25 gallons @ 21mpg = 945 miles, almost a straight shot to your event.

2642 miles @ 21 mpg = 125.81 gallons
125.81 gallons @ 3.369 = $423.85

$76.15 should be plenty for one night's hotel and basic foodstuff. I'd just sleep in the bed of the truck on the way home. It's definately doable.

- LostCause