View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

They also have unfortunate side effects such as a reduction in traffic police - some forces in the UK don't even have a 'Traffic Section' any more - they only think that road safety is speed based and rely on cameras. In fact I have driven from Scotland to England and back (round trip 600 miles) without seeing a single police car, but at the same time I have seen speed cameras and camera vans.

Its stupid.

I can drive with relative safety on an empty motorway in good weather at 80 mph plus - the limit is 70. In fact I have and have been passed and ignored by police cars going faster.

I can also drive very dangerously at 50 and never trigger a camera at all. And because there are far fewer traffic cops than there used to be, I would probably get away with it these days.

We have cameras to catch all sorts of things here - people stopping across junctions in traffic, using (usually empty) bus lanes and even parking for too long.

The scary aspect is that all of these 'incidents' create an entry on a database somewhere - with a reg plate, a date and a time. A reg plate has a registered keeper - so you can have a person, a date and a time.

Who says we aren't being watched...