View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #23 (permalink)
tumnasgt
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
It's fair AFAIK, both are running in charge sustaining mode. The Fusion gets worse highway mileage because it's a fullsize car, not a compact, but it should also get worse city mileage. The problem with the Volt is that running everything through to a generator, then converting that back to mechanical power via the motor reduces efficiency by ~15%-20%, and the single speed trans for he electric motor hurts a bit too (~5+%). If they sent mechanical power directly from the engine to the wheels in charge sustaining mode they would do a lot better than the Fusion hybrid and be very close to a Prius.
I both agree and disagree. I think the Volt should either use a system like all the other hybrids and direct-drive the wheels (especially with the physical connection already there), or even better: have the ICE completely disconnected from the wheels, and run it as a fixed output generator, running at peak efficiency all of the time, and just dumping excess power in the battery pack. Once the batteries are at a set charge level, the motor can switch off (like pulse and glide).

The latter is how I originally thought the Volt would work, as it makes a lot more sense than the super complex set up they have now.