View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Staska
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder.
5 HP isn't very much.
A 5th wheel adds weight (not good in the city) and drag when it's being used.
You need to have a mechanism that can lower and raise the 5th wheel (more weight) with enough power to transfer the electric power to the road, while it still needs a suspension to deal with the road.
Something like that gets complicated quickly.

Another technique is to add an electric assist motor to the rear wheels .
(the Idea is front wheel drive IIRC ?)
The rear wheels are already there, they have suspension, and you're not adding drag and weight for a 5the wheel .
Thank you for answer. 5 Hp - I am not going to get 100% e-assist, only add on to existing engine. And if taking not more than 100 kg of lead acid batteries - i will have only 2.5-3 kwh of energy. I have seen implementation of fifth wheel on honda insight. With careful driving it is ok. But the lack an ABS on it, which in winter could make some serious problem. Traction is problem also.

Yes, it is front wheel, mix of fiat panda/fiat punto. Yes, i know about rear axle e-drive, used in some Nissan and Mitsubishi. But as far, as I know - it works only till 40 km/h. Correct me, if I am wrong. Better option would be from hybrid lexus... But is way out from my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post

This is something that's already been done.

That gets rather complicated as you need a clutch mechanism to detach the normal engine from the electric engine.
It's not something that's easy to do.
As i was (or sometimes still in) car-tuner, fitting supercharger is quite simple. I don't see big difference between fitting sc or add-on motor. And some of sc was with built in clutch. Like ones from Mercedes slk. Or just from A/C pump.

But still - will it get better mpg ?

Last edited by Staska; 11-29-2010 at 04:07 AM..