View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sulfuric
EcoModding Apprentice

Lil Sulf - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 47.62 mpg (US)
Clear plastic boat tail idea

I've been searching for a while for a good material that would provide the drag reduction of many of the more serious mods e.g. a boat tail, but would require less work to install, would be easy to take off, and requires the least amount of wiring, etc.

I thought a plexiglass-like material would work well because it would provide decent visibility and I wouldn't have to move the license plate or brake lights or do any wiring work. But all I have is thick plexiglass and it's relatively heavy and requires very good support to attach it securely to my car.

- - - - - - - -LIGHT BULB - - - - - - -

Then a brilliant idea popped in my mind!

How about a clear plastic material, similar to "death" plastic packaging? You know, the kind that you need scissors to open and a good 5 minutes because you can't find a good angle to cut through the plastic? What if that was shaped so it would connect from the back of the roof to the back edge of the trunk, and then a second piece that connects from various parts of the back outward to form a boat tail?

It would only require a few screws to hold it into place because of how light it is, but it's still rigid enough to provide the aerodynamic benefits and won't flex just from airflow.

If you see a flaw or jsut want to comment, pelase tell me. I'm really hyped about this, the only problem is getting the material and shaping it correctly.

And that's without a Scangauge o.O