View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #27 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Here's another reasons why certain drivers waste fuel when it's snowing:
Yesterday morning my neighbor spent 20 minutes revving and spinning his wheels trying to get out of the snow in front of his house. Why? Because on the previous evening he didn't clear his parking space but just pulled in. In fact, he pulled in faster than usual, so that the car wouldn't get stuck halfway in. Then he just got out and went home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
  1. Did you notice that bus slid down the hill... and it had chains on?
  2. You are assuming there is some level of control going on there and driving onto the sidewalk is intentional. I suspect that once the slide starts, these people are in full-on panic mode and there is no rational thinking going on. The car mostly just slides where gravity/momentum takes it.
  1. Now I do! (had to go to full screen)
  2. I agree that gravity (or Newtonian physics, to be precise) play the largest role when sliding, but in most cases it is still possible to change your trajectory in some small degree. In that exact case hitting the car or the sidewalk may have totally been out of the driver's control, yet most drivers, especially in panic situations, have a subconscience urge to not hit anything that is
    (a) on the road in front of them,
    (b) more or less their size or larger.
    I am by no means claiming that that driver tried to hit the pedestrian, only that the driver (if (s)he had any degree of control) intentionally tried to avoid the car in front, maybe playing less attention to her/his alternative route.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread