View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
ChrstphrR
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
I found for REALLY cold temperatures (-30 to -40 - doesn't really matter if it's C or F -- it's COLD!!), that I kept a second battery when I lived in those colder temperatures - and I'd either boost, or swap out, depending on how crotchety my Greta would get.

A battery near room temperature has a lot more cold cranking amps available than one that was kept outside with the car overnight in the cold.

I've since moved, and gave away my spare... but I reacquired a marine battery for a failed attempt at making a high capacity UPS for my computer. So, it's the backup battery here now for boosting when things go bloody cold.

Glad to hear in your case it was only an easily found loose/corroded connection. One of my issues that was on again, off again with my diesel ended up being the ignition switch... and two connections running to the starter that involved ripping out half the stuff above the fender to trace up the affected wiring.

Happy oil burning!