Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #126 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
LOL

I'm always surprised that what we experience as the weather isn't the climate, but apparently, the weather elsewhere that we don't experience, is the climate and the proof of climate change ...
You may also appreciate this as well.

Quote:
I have just cleared fresh snow in my back yard for the ninth day in a row. Powder lies 13 inches deep on my lawn: I probed it with a tape measure. Ten years ago David Viner, a climate scientist from (inevitably) the University of East Anglia, told us that within a few years winter snowfall would become `a very rare and exciting event’ and that `children just aren't going to know what snow is’. My children have seen more snow in Northumberland in the past 11 months than I had before in any year of my life.

That’s not a trend. It’s not climate change. It’s weather: just a cold snap. But that’s the point: the climate is just not changing very fast. We have now had a third of a century of man-made warming. This was meant to be the fastest bit – the curve is logarithmic – and yes, it has warmed, but not even enough to make winter noticeably different from 1978, let alone cause catastrophe.

Last week saw the coldest 28thNovember Britain has ever experienced, and Wednesday was the coldest 1st December. By contrast we have not broken a heat record for a particular date since 10 May 2008. Yet, with weary predictability, in October the Met Office’s shiny new £33m supercomputer said there was a high probability of a warmer winter for the east of England and Scotland, just as it did last winter and the one before, with a `barbecue summer’ in between. They should ask for their (or rather our) money back at PC World.