View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
rmcelwee
93 Geo Metro

Sippy - '93 Geo Metro Convertible
90 day: 43.8 mpg (US)
1993 Geo Metro Convertible High MPG Project (Charleston, SC)

You can see hundreds of pictures of the car here:
http://www.lightweightmiata.com/geo/

1993 Geo Metro Convertible - $2,000

I've done a lot of work to this Geo Metro to make it sip as little gas as possible. The convertible version of the Metro only got around 35 MPG on the highway but I have this one running around 50 MPG right now.
I rebuilt the engine/clutch less than 5,000 miles ago. The rebuild included:
+.020 pistons and rings
main bearings
rod bearings
thrust bearings
head bolts
timing belt tensioner
water pump
full gasket set
timing belt
oil pump
water pump
custom +10 degree cam sprocket
custom economy grind camshaft
clutch disc
throwout bearing
pilot bearing
pressure plate
rebuilt head with springs, seals, valves
output shaft seals
decked the head
front and rear oil seals
cam seal
Anyway, I built it to be my daily driver and I wanted it to be in great condition.
In order to get the MPG's up I replaced the transmission with one from a Metro XFI, installed a custom high efficiency cam shaft, and added a custom cam shaft gear (adds 10 degrees to the timing).
I also put a new clutch, pilot bearing, and throw out bearing in as well as new output shaft seals. The brakes were replaced and brake fluid flushed. The radiator has been flushed and there is new tranny fluid in the transmission.
The car has only seen synthetic oil after the initial 300 miles after the engine rebuild. When I had the engine out I cleaned up the engine bay and noted the lack of rust in any of the normal places (i.e. the a-arms).
I painted the engine, tranny, and accessories and it looks pretty good under the hood. There are no major dents in the car. The interior looks about like the average Metro. The seats were not that good so I put seat covers on them.
The dash has some cracking behind the steering wheel but it is in a place that you cannot see while driving it (I forget that they are there). There was no carpet in the car when I bought it and I haven't ever put any in.
I thought it would be the first thing I did when I bought it but I am kind of used to it now. If you wanted to replace it you can find carpet on ebay for $125 or so. The A/C did not work when I bought the car.
I have since pulled the compressor out (it was froze up) and have a replacement to go in as well as the fittings to convert the car to R134A refrigerant. The car has been wired for use of an MPGuino box
(tells instantaneous gas mileage as well as other data). The convertible top has been replaced and is in very good shape. The rear window on the top has some scratches in it but nothing major
(similar to swirl marks you would find on a car's paint). I've put $2900 into the car (would have been MUCH more if I had paid someone to do the labor for me) and I am only asking $2,000.
If you look on Ebay you will see convertibles in much worse shape going for $2500 every day. I am asking a low price so I can get a quick sale (too many cars over here). As time goes on and I do more work to the car
(i.e. complete the A/C installation, do more work to the exterior, etc) I will increase the price so now is your chance to get a really good deal on a gas sipper. One note about the way the car drives.
It drives like a gas sipper. If you are looking for something very peppy you are buying the wrong car. This Metro will feel sluggish if you put it in high gear too soon because of the extreme gearing I have put in the car.
However, you will get a big kick when driving on flat roads and looking down to see you are getting 70 MPG (instantaneous).
Oh, the car was repainted at some point. It doesn't look half bad when it is cleaned up.

Last edited by rmcelwee; 12-03-2010 at 11:39 AM..