View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentPointofView View Post
why in the world would you get back pains from a heating pad? don't mean to be harsh but, don't they tell you to use a heating pad on your back when you have pulled or have sore muscles? ice and then heat?
It's for injuries, strain, sore muscles, etc.

You shouldn't be icing or heating more than 20 minutes at a time. That number varies from doctor to doctor though (but you shouldn't be heating an injury for the first day or so - it'll only make it more sore - ice reduces the extent of the injury during the initial few days).... Heat pulls blood to the surface - if you've got a sore muscle, that blood can put pressure on pain receptor/nerves if you're applying heat for too long...

Quote:
true, but you normally dont spend 10+ hours of holding your body against one ...

(radiation decreases with the square of the distance ... eg double distance, 1/4th of radiation)

i am worried, but dont have sufficent in-depth electric / medical knowledge to confirm/reject this ...

cheers 2 all, al
How many power lines are in/near your home (including buried ones)? Perhaps you're not spending 10+ hours holding your body against them - but you're immersed in them 24 hours a day When you quarter a small amount, it's still a small amount

It's a funny thing to watch... I live in Florida - and whenever the local news brings out the next "dangerous" household product, the parental stupid gene kicks in.... Yet, not one person I know puts sun block on every single day. I mean, it's well known - that radiation will kill you - even through clouds