View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
mradtke
EcoModding Lurker

Mike in Phoenix with an ElectraVan

Hello,

I've owned my Jet ElectrVan for about 10 years now and commuted with it 20 miles per day for about 8 years. I used up 3 sets of flooded batteries so far. However, I have always been disappointed by the range of about 25 miles. Only recently did it sink in that the old EV1 SCR controller might be contributing to the problem with its lack of capacitive input. Since it's time for new batteries again, I am very interested in the Open ReVolt controller project.

I have been trying to get through the hundreds of pages of information on the Open ReVolt project forum. I am overwhelmed. So, I need to be quiet and just keep reading, reading and reading.

I did take the time to drive a Nissan Leaf today. I came away with mixed feelings since I am kind of a "form follows function" kind of guy. I shy away from cars that bathe you in luxury and isolate you from the driving experience. At least in comparison to my ElectraVan, the Leaf does both. The ElectraVan is utilitarian to the extreme in that it holds 4 passengers in relative discomfort along with a bunch of cargo, or 2 passengers and a great deal of cargo even though it's smaller than a Leaf. I can't imagine going to Lowes to pick up much in a Leaf. However, I can't drive my ElectraVan 75 miles either. Perhaps it's time to consider lithium batteries, a smart charger, and a battery management system along with my new open controller instead of a Leaf.

Enough about me ... this is an incredible site ... thank you for it.

Mike