View Single Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #82 (permalink)
autoteach
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Thanks for the response, Frank. The trick seems to be combining as many of these features in one design, I guess?

This thread has flown along, and my design proposal has been buried:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post206606

In a nutshell: a 2-stroke, rotary disk valve, opposed piston, with an offset that aligns the beginning of the power stroke with the crankpin at 45 degrees past top dead center -- oh, and only a turbo doing any compression; as there is no compression stroke...
I do see some slight problems with this design, not in the crank offset (although the amount seems to be excessive and with significant downsides in the exhaust stroke thrust) but in the filling of the cylinder. A typical engine would need about 120psi of compression to meet favorable conditions for gasoline combustion.

Engine Compression Ratio - Tech - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Knowing that, at a minimum, you need about 8:1 compression (but this is a problem if any wear occurs as it quickly drops from running to non), you need to provide similar amounts of pressure from the turbo. As a turbo works primarily on the turbine principles, how, at start up, does the turbo manage this? How does the exhaust, from an engine not running, spin the turbine to a speed fast enough to produce 120psi intake charge?

I think my problem may be that I am inside the box, and having some difficulty thinking about how these systems would work other than how they are normally used. Help me out of the box.