View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #141 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
Potentially OT but thats a big part of my decision to go hybrid. use the E-motor for what its great at, low end torque and the diesel for what its good at, droning on for hours down the highway.
I don't know if there's a flaw in my thinking, but my idea of a hybrid would be opposite: ICE for acceleration (because 1: that is where the ICE is most efficient and 2: acceleration is a huge power draw vs cruising and fuel tanks carry far more power per pound than batteries) and electric for cruising, because cruise hp requirements are so much smaller than accel i.e. for a typical small car one might want 80 hp for accel but only need 10 hp to cruise.

That set-up is backwards from a vehicle range point of view, in that for long trips the batteries will likely get depleted before trip's end, whereas the other way probably only used a lil bit of battery at the beginning of the trip and one could simply keep fueling up along the way for infinite range. But I think with ICE accel/elec cruise overall trip efficiency would be maximized... No?