View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #110 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I finally found a mirror to replace my folded passenger side mirror. It's a bike mirror, got it in a Decathlon sports store for 24PLN ($8/6€), and it is mounted on a ball joint:

I removed the part that goes into the handlebar and placed the mirror at the front of the window, but - oh no! - all I saw was my side mirror, even though it was folded!

What to do, what to do? Thankfully, the plastic that covers access to the mirror's wiring comes off quite easily.

So I drilled a 4mm hole in it for the screw, added a washer, put some scrap rubber underneath (plastic against plastic/metal doesn't have enough friction to hold everything upright), and presto:

(Yeah, that washer will get painted black when it gets a little warmer.)

I've actually killed two birds with one stone (metaphorically speaking): not only did I increase safety while reducing drag, I also stopped the Wife's complaining about not seeing anything when she's a passenger. In fact, maybe she'll start to drive without unfolding the passenger mirror, reducing fuel consumption even more.
Of course, the OEM mirror won't be removed, since I still use it sometimes (eg when maneuvering in tight parking lots, or when hauling a trunk full of cargo/people), and law requires a second outside mirror when the central, internal mirror can't be used.

BTW: The cable in the last picture is my coolant heater's extension cord.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror1.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	7483   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror3.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	7484   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror4.jpg
Views:	1475
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	7485   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror5.jpg
Views:	1472
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	7486   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror2.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	7487  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread