Thread: Insight 4x4
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #22 (permalink)
Hugh-Falls
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
This technology can be used for good OR evil. You could use PhotoShop (or MSPaint, which I believe is the program that Staska sketched in) to annotate an existing photo, or to illustrate something you haven't prototyped yet.

Hugh, surely you plan on shifting to N and shutting down the ICE while using your rear wheel drive. Otherwise, you could simply make like Peter Perkins (and me) and run the IMA motor off of grid-charged batteries. It's not the most efficient, and it will never let you kick the gasoline habit, but it's cheap and easy.
Most of my work is done with paper and pencil sketches. ACAD is then used to get a mathematically correct layout. I guess it is time to find out what Photoshop and MSPaint are about.

With the CVT, shifting into N and shutting down the ICE and driving from the rear wheels would be ideal and probably could be done at any rear wheel drive speed. As far as the CVT is concerned, it would resemble the car being towed and the same restrictions should be met. However, starting up the ICE (as from a forced stop) and shifting back into D while underway at speeds above 4 mph could probably damage the CVT start up clutch over time and probably should be avoided. With the MT none of these restrictions would apply and you could enjoy a full EV mode if you could live with the limited acceleration you mentioned, however, if you used Mike Dabrowski's MIMA you should be able to get assist from the IMA motor.

Last edited by Hugh-Falls; 12-08-2010 at 04:53 AM..