View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #47 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nahalf View Post
Im the owner of a Vixen 21 motorhome, its a beast of a little thing but I will tell you I do get 35mpg with this thing.

If you have any questions about them let me know.

Pictures inside & out (or links to). How moho is used. Capacities. Scale weights. Any mods to increase boondocking times? Would like to read more (new thread?) as the numbers are impressive.

The single advantage I see -- the general scope of wanting a moho -- is that on these small ones no toad [towed] is needed (a small car in tow behind the moho to run around in at destinations); one just un-hooks from electrical/water/sewer and uses it for all errands & adventures.

I'd really rather have something easy to park around town than worry over the mpg too much as the elimination of a second vehicle is the savings. To that end I have always liked the CORTEZ.

The early ones featured the indestructible Chrysler Slant Six, later versions the V8-318 and finally (most commonly) the Toronado drivetrain Mpg would be about a modernized rebuild of one of the configurations assuming the rest of the coach was suitable. Wheelbase is the same as a bigger half-ton (19-22' length).

CortezCoach.com - Cortez Motorhome website.

As to mpg, an early Travco with a 12V Cummins re-engine would be nice where size is needed for more than one or two people:

The REVCON and FMC are also cool, high tech motorhomes of a big size.

An ITASCA Navion or other Sprinter-based vehicle would be the mdoern best choice for a small moho.

RV's are really not about highway mpg, but the trade-off of not having to use hotels, etc. Sites at most parks are at least $40/night, so the use of a motorhome (or trailer), etc, has to be weighed against initial purchase price, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, insurance, etc, etc. Those costs tend to make the RV expensive . . . hundreds of dollars per night, or higher. Fuel savings are irrelevant by comparison.

The reason many of us prefer a trailer is that the tow vehicle is the daily driver/commuter in all other instances. With no drivetrain inherent the costs are much lower. The trade-off is that a motorhome is usually (should be) equipped with a built-in generator to provide it's own electricity.

Day-to-day energy savings for someone living fulltime in an RV can be substantial above a house, even an apartment if all the conditions (and there are quite a few) of fulltiming can be met.

But on a per square foot basis an RV is an energy hog when weather requires either heating or cooling 24-hours per day. For that reason one tends to follow the weather as summer heat and winter cold can be a bit much for long periods.

I much like the idea of being mobile, of moving every few weeks or months.

Here's another take on low cost/avoiding hotels:

The Stealth Camper

Last edited by slowmover; 12-08-2010 at 06:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-06-2012)