View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #192 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
So, when you burn gasoline at near atmospheric pressure, about what temperature is generated? If you pressurize / compress it, the potential temperature gets higher?

I think I've read that natural gas electrical generation plants are about 60% efficient -- this is the electricity coming out; not just the turbines. How do they get such good efficiency?

Is external combustion capable of higher efficiency? The downside of external combustion (like steam) is that you have to preheat to get up to operating temperature, before you can do anything; I would expect?

How much efficiency is gained in say the Honda engines that have offset crankshafts? Someone mentioned that they thought some Honda engines were 47% efficient -- is this correct? Why can all engines get above say, 45%?

I understand that electric is in a different realm -- that is why I think EV's will be the answer to many / most transportation needs. The exercise in this thread is to try and push ICE's as high as they can go. I appreciate your patience on this process.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/