View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
don-vee
Mechanic of DOOM

Send a message via AIM to don-vee
Been a while, time to revisit this thread...
So, the van is no more. I did a bunch of work to the engine, and it never ran right, only to find out two of the cylinder walls were scored. I was not about to pull the engine out for a rebuild. Did that before, not wanting to do it again. Plus, the thing leaked every time it rained, it was starting to rust under the rockers and such, the heater didn't work, the wipers only worked when they wanted to, etc. I guess that's what I get for 200 bucks!
On a lighter note, the boneyard gave me $488 for it, and I got to pull some parts off it!
So, now the gears switch to a new van. I've been looking around, and found two that are in contention for my new ride:

Van #1 - 1986 Dodge, short WB, Slant 6, 117k miles, runs good, a little ugly but nothing paint won't fix, $750
Van #2 - 1985 Dodge, short WB, 318, 121k miles, runs good, better looking than the other one, but I still wanna paint it because it's tan, $950

So, mileage-wise, common thought would assume the Slant 6 would be better on gas. However, I have heard many comments to the contrary. A lot of folks say, all else being equal, the 318 may do better on the mileage than the ol' leaning tower of power, especially when loaded or while towing.
Given that I will be doing essentially the same mods on the V8 as I would do on the Slant 6, do any of you have any firsthand knowledge of the MPG differences between the two? Which would you lean towards?