Thread: Motor scooter.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
bdesj
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Motor scooter.

I`m back in the two wheeled motorized game for the first time since my last moto went to Honda Heaven in or around 1995 (RIP, CB). Last weekend I bought an `06 Yamaha Majesty, very similar to the smaller sized Suzuki Burgmans. It`s my first scooter and I really like it- 400cc EFI will pull me as fast as I care to go with room to spare. Compared to a standard motorcycle, it`s got a huge amount of cargo capacity under the seat and a fairing that looks like it would be at home on a Golwing or Concourse, but on a sub 500# bike. Also, compared to a standard motorcycle, cornering downright sucks, but that`s life.

Admittedly I bought it more for fun than for savings, but it sill save me some gasoline. Although I`ll never earn back my purchase price, it should more or less cover the additional insurance and maintenance costs. With the nice big fairing and the cargo space, I think I can comfortably cut in half the miles that I currently put on my pickup (and smile while I`m at it). Most owner reviews put the mileage somewhere in the 50s. I haven`t yet gotten through a tank, but I`ll post my results when I do. I don`t plan any FE related mods and the only hypermiling I plan is to go easy on the starts and the uphills.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0672.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	7500   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0677.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	7501   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0667.jpg
Views:	38