Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #197 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Hi,

I just want to pick up on this comment from the other day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
But, you and I are not scientists and we are not qualified to make judgments one way or the other.
I'm afraid with respect I have to strongly disagree. We can all read the papers, watch the presentations and make up our own minds. We can even challenge the science if we want to. Its a free world, or maybe thats not allowed.

However as an example this appeared last year.

Quote:
Scientists solve enigma of Antarctic 'cooling'

Research 'kills off' climate sceptic argument by showing average temperature across the continent has risen over the last 50 years
This referred to a paper published which reconstructed (those damn models again) temps in the antarctic region to spread them from a well measured area to the whole continent. Argument over, these are scientists after all.

Except that a few ordinary people with an interest in the maths did it again, and came up with a significantly different result, one which may question whether the original paper was valid in any way.

The debate is on as to the affect of this new paper and what it actually refutes, challenges or enhances. But it is an example of why we should be allowed to challenge the science. In fact this should be encouraged instead of the dumbing down that the media seems to want to engage in.