View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamZipPow View Post
Well...the post is just to hold it up since I'm working by myself and it just happened to be handy.

I guess it could be lowered...but what is the ideal angle of the cap? I guess the angle would be some where between 10° and 15° based on the calculations I performed earlier.

I guess I could make the next version from this to an adjustable angle to see what would be ideal. Obviously if I want that to happen, I'll have to keep spare side panels available to adjust the cap angle to...
It's really about tangent angles at any given point along a progressively-steepening curve up to a maximum of 22-degrees.But that's also the hardest to construct.
Dr.Kamm recommended no more than 10-degrees and proceeded to break his own rule.
Dr. Hucho suggests no more than 15-degrees.
I know from experience,that at 13-degrees over that much span,you'll get immediate separation and then re-attachment downstream with a locked-vortex in between.
With straight angles it's all a compromise.And Frank is totally correct in that if you push the angle too steep you get separation with zero re-attachment and little if any benefit.
My cover that you saw at Burger King has zero separation.If you can stand to build curvature into the cover you'll get the biggest bang for the buck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (12-13-2010), KamperBob (12-13-2010)