View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
On a cars P-radials I may start with 75% of sidewall max to see how it is; and then adjust FF/RR according to factory-recommended pressure bias. Generally I wind up within only a few pounds the door sticker numbers and default to them (when tire size is non-stock).

Overly stiff tires simply damage the vehicle long-term as the tire does have a function of shock absorbtion and side-to-side roll resistance. Any so-called mpg gain doesn't offset shorter component life and reduced performance. Safety trumps all.
You bring up many good points. I do keep the front and rear pressure differential the same for safety and handling reasons. This is funny because I acknowledge that over-inflating tires will cause longer braking distances, increased rollover tendency and create a stiffer ride, and yet I still do it.

Everything in life is a trade-off that must be carefully weighed. Running higher pressure does have some notable advantages besides fuel economy. As I have stated, my tires do not wear evenly because I corner hard. Over-inflating helps to even this out. Also, a higher pressure tire is less prone to damage from a pinch-flat (hitting a curb for example).

So, the gamble is whether you will save money by having higher MPGs and better tire wear, or loose money by wearing out suspension components or having an accident.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!