View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #45 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Bill for November = $4.29

My last bill was $4.29 (for 15kWh) plus 32cents in tax.
Unusually low for winter (electric heat)

It seems to jump around unpredictably at times. I think the landlord occasionally just guesses a number, and then corrects for it next month.

Anyway, my peak (over the 3 years I have records for) has been 135kWh in June of 2009, for a charge of $15.60

That's from using a lot of A/C

Stove and (instant) water heater run on about $40 a year of propane. I stopped using the central furnace, and use a ceramic space heater (thermostat to 65) in the living room, blankets in the bedroom. Most lights are 1 watt LEDs. Windows insulated with tint from auto store and a layer of plastic wrap across the interior frame. Entertainment center is on a timer, shuts at midnight if I forget to shut it manually; stays off unless I manually turn it back on. Fridge is hyper-efficient ammonia-absorption-cycle with cooling coils outside vented directly to the roof. Laptop computer (lower watts than a desktop).

But the biggest thing of all?

250 square feet, and low ceilings. Not much air to heat or cool, not much area to light up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?