View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
My interest would be a self-contained motor home (not trailer) with 2 axles, best suited for highway efficiency rather than rugged conditions, that would comfortably sleep 2-4 people. This primarily for business use, where I may be sent to spend weeks at some small town, so could live in the motorhome rather than pay motel and restaurant bills. 2-4 person capacity would presumably have enough room for me to live in and use for office space.
For your purposes, I think you will be comfortable in something much smaller than you seem to think. I say this having lived in RVs since I was 18, from a 15ft camper van to a 35ft trailer. For one person, a week or so at a time, a regular sized van (like the old VW westfalia) is totally adequate. (I only upgraded when my girlfriend moved in with me.)

Quote:
Diesel would be a plus, if conversion to biodiesel oil from restaurants were readily an option. Otherwise, diesels tend to run more expense, i.e., it would take many highway miles before the extra cost of the diesel were offset.
Diesels are more exspensive upfront, but they last longer, have fewer problems, and don't need as much (no tune-ups, no spark plugs or coils or distributors or carburetors.) They don't need to be smog-checked (at least in CA). They get better mileage. And, as you mentioned, you have the option of using waste oil. You may not use it all the time, but if you get a gasser, you won't ever be able to at all.

I just wrote a blog specifically for first time RV buyers. There is nothing in it about ecomodding (the most efficient RV is the one that stays parked!) but you will likely find some useful information in it:
Minor celebrity - Bakari's Personal Blog - Powered by Doteasy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?