View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #53 (permalink)
JacobAziza
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
I'm not making as many assumptions as you assume.
I've traveled in RVs.
I've lived in sub-freezing climates, had pipes freeze (before I learned about line heaters), shoveled snow off of the roof, surrounded my couch in foam insulation board, and run a small heater 24/7 (so cats wouldn't freeze while I was at work).
I've also lived places where its above 90 degrees for a week at a time, and run lots of A/C.
In both cases I still spent way less than a home does (in the same climate) on energy. By a factor of 10 or more, just like in the mild climate I finally settled in.

RV appliances meet the standards for RVs. "Temporary" or not, they have to be safe. And they are. Its not like a camping stove used indoors or something like that. And many of them ARE designed for long term use. They all have to meet the same minimum standards of safety (and a house appliance does not have to contend with being driven down the road everyday). And they FAR exceed the standards of a house appliance when it comes to efficiency.

I have lived in parks from CA to NJ (in New Jersey, about 15 miles outside of Manhattan). What I am paying now is the most expensive I've seen. Anything more expensive is probably either A) meant to be a temporary vacation spot, and charges by the day or B) a mobile home park (one which doesn't allow RVs anyway- some do, some don't)

Many parks would not allow my rain collection system. That is true. The fact that the owners aren't strict about cosmetic standards is one of the reasons I stay here and pay so much rent, when there are cheaper places not far away.

I have never heard of a requirement that tires need to be 5-years old or less. There are no annual inspections in CA, and you most certainly can register a vehicle as not currently driven over-the-road (such as when it is in storage) and then not pay insurance (or worry about inspections).

I have insurance anyway, because it covers not only crash damage and liability, but also storm damage, theft or damage to my possessions inside (or even in my shed), people getting hurt on my property, etc. Basically its comprehensive auto insurance + home owners insurance, built into one. It costs $300 per year.

I would believe that on a per square foot basis they are energy hogs. But that is irrelevant. The great advantage is that they are so small. Try to find a 250 square foot house or apartment. Average home size doubled over the past few decades, to about 10 times the size of my home, during which time average family size shrank. Most homes are like SUVs - few people actually need that much space, but it makes them feel better to have it, and who cares how wasteful it is?

I've done "boondocking" for a lot longer than 1-3 days without hookups (smaller RV than my current one, two people). Between 1 and 2 weeks, depending how careful we were. It does depend to some extent on the size of the RV (small ones usually have smaller tanks and batteries) - but the OP was talking about being in one solo, which means he could go twice as long.

A/C is really really nice when its hot. No doubt. But it is NOT a necessity. Realize that people actually lived in hot places before A/C was invented. Like, almost all of the 100,000 years humans existed, up until about 60 years ago. When we had it, and were off grid, we would run the generator to keep the A/C on for about 10 minutes, then leave it off for an hour and keep the doors closed. I never changed the filters, in 5 years. I always was planning to, never got around to it. My new rig has no generator, and I haven't missed it. In a motorhome that is used for travel, you can also use the engine A/C while in transit. If the climate is hot but dry, there are evaporation coolers that fit RV roof A/C cut-outs, that run on 12v.

For travel, you can stay in any WalMart parking lot, anywhere in the country, for free. Its store policy. You don't even have to be a customer. If it is a high enough MPG RV, gas cost can be comparable, or even lower than train or flight cost. Then, comparing the cost of $0 to a hotel, hmm...

Why, SlowMover, do you hate RVs so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?

Last edited by JacobAziza; 12-14-2010 at 07:01 PM..