View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
In re-reading my own writing I'm re-thinking my own logic... some. My last accident was in 2005. I was driving at 70 mph (65psl) in my 2002 Civic EX that had second season snow tires on. Some bonehead started merging without looking in his/her mirror and coming into my lane, so I started to swerve into the lane next to me, did a quick peek over my shoulder and saw someone coming at about 90mph in that lane only about 50 yards back, I corrected to hold my lane, the car lost traction, I started to spin and the next thing I know I'm sliding backward at 60+mph into the guardrail, bouncing off, into traffic and get broadsided at 50+mph.

In any case, besides the longest run-on sentence in Ecomodder history, I don't know what PSI those tires were at, what brand they were, or anything, but I know I don't want to ever have a car break free that easily again on perfectly dry roads. I'm going to start playing with tire pressure again to find a balance that makes the car handle better, if possible, on dry roads. Snow tires suck on dry roads, but summer tires suck on 3" of hard pack or 10" of powder. Everything has its trade offs and I need to re-evaluate my tire pressure to get the best handling I can get, whether that's 32, 35, 40 or 44psi. I'd suspect in a realistic CBA, two or three mpg is cheaper than my deductable...