View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Where did you get the idea Hazelwood was not an Exxon employee, but a contractor? Not that it makes any difference, since the third mate was in charge of the wheelhouse, with an able seaman steering the ship.

Exxon failed to repair the ship's RAYCAS radar for more than a year, and failed to give the third mate and the able seaman their required 6 hours off duty time before beginning their 12 hour watches.

Thirty years after the Exxon Valdez spill, when 79% of the world's oil tankers use double-hull designs, Exxon remains the largest user of single-hull tankers. That's not the sign of a responsible corporation.

But my biggest issue with Exxon is how it nickeled and dimed the monetary awards to the 38,000 Alaskan claimants whose livelihoods were destroyed by Exxon's negligence. They were awarded $283 million in compensatory damages, and $5 billion in punitive damages. Exxon fought the decision for 29 years until it won a reduction to $507.5 million dollars in punitive damages, a mere 1.1% of its net profit that year. That's just one of the reasons I've boycotted Exxon since 1989. I remember what Valdez Harbor was like before the spill.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg