View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
aearles
EcoModding Lurker

Astra Grill Block

Hi guys, first post here - your forum has inspired me to start with some winter mods for a little better fuel economy out of my Saturn Astra 1.8L, I average about 28MPG throughout the year, but during winter it gets down more towards 24MPG so I'm looking at building a Grill Block and adding a block heater, and I'm hoping to get some recommendations from the pros on the grill.

I've already created a cardboard template of both the upper and lower grills, and I just picked up a half sheet of Coroplast from a local sign shop, I just need to know what you guys think of blocking the top vs bottom on my car, it looks like most recommend blocking the top, and then possibly some of the bottom on most cars, but because on my car the lower grill is so much bigger than the top, I thought maybe I should go the other way around.

I've posted a picture below, please let me know what you think. Also, what are you guys using as fasteners? I would like to only run it during the winter but have it easily removable and replaceable instead of using zip ties etc, and of course I want it to look clean.

Let me know what you think, thank you!

(oops, cant post images/links yet, please replace the hxxp)

The top slot of the top grill (above the saturn logo) looks open to under the hood, but it's not, it seals up tight to the hood a few inches in, creating kind of a parachute cavern space...

Last edited by Daox; 12-16-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: add img tag