View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Sorry, I completely missed the SE-R for trade. I thought you were selling it.

I liked my SE-R. Plenty of pep, a luxurious car for a compact, very safe with side curtain airbags and front crush zone, but tight in all dimensions for interior space. I averaged 38.0 mpg over 20,000 miles hypermiling it. I've seen some that didn't wear well with age. Kids beat the SE-Rs into trash by abusing them. Push it moderately hard, and you'll only get 26 mpg from it. Gave mine away to my daughter with 96K on the odometer.

On 800 mile round-trips to my mom's, I got 26 mpg setting the cruise control to 72 mph. Dropping to 62 mph, I got 33-34 mpg. Dropping to 55 mph, I got 38 mpg out of the Spec V.

2002 was the first year for the QR25DE engine in a Sentra, so there were three recalls. The worst was a major engine issue that could destroy the engine, IIRC. I'd get the VIN of the car, and make sure the owner brought it in to Nissan for that service check. Another was for replacement of the factory floor mat because it could slide forward and cause a full throttle situation. The replacement mat anchors with a plastic peg so it can't slide.

My Spec V had the alternator fail under warranty. It had three issues when I gave it away - a sticking master brake cylinder, a leaking power steering unit, and an internal clutch issue where the pedal would go to the floor about once/day. So, more than a fair share of issues, but maybe that's normal for first year models.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg