View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #116 (permalink)
Ford Man
Master EcoModder

I've ridden bikes for the better part of my life. (51 years) I wear a full faced helmet now anytime I'm on the highway, but back years ago when I was in my upper teens and lower 20's even though it was required by law I would sometimes get on back roads and take my helmet off, it's now clear to me how stupid that was. I've been involved in a couple accidents on bikes over the years without any serious injuries head or otherwise, but just one hard lick on the head could easily put your lights out for good and no a helmet doesn't protect other parts of your body, but it does protect one of probably the 3 most vital parts head, abdomen, and chest. Many other parts of the body although road rash is painful the skin will grow back. Only a few years ago a neighbor was riding a four wheeler in his yard probably going no more than 10 mph, hit a bump and turned it over without a helmet on, was life flighted to the hospital and spent several weeks in the hospital and a few months in rehab where if he'd been wearing a helmet he'd probably have walked away without injury. I always require my passengers wear a helmet too. Before my son got his driver's license he had a go cart and even though it had a roll cage and seat belt I still required him to wear a helmet or he didn't ride. My head hasn't made impact with the ground or any other object in any of the accidents I've been involved in. I am familiar with a few states helmet laws, NC helmet required, TN required, KY not required, SC not required.