View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
dremd
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
dremd -

This consistent with my impression, Jack of all trades and master of none. The SGII is dependent on the *implementation* of the OBDII standard by the auto manufacturer. I think that because there are fewer diesels on the road, they may have more "esoteric" implementations. Do you know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille
You are not alone my friend. I too have this exact same problem with the TDI. I think the way the SG computes consumption for the TDI is flawed and is only accurate if you always drive in the exact same manner you did when you calibrated it.

This also makes sense because from my POV, the calibration value is a "constant" based on how you drove your previous tank. Change the way you drive, and the constant loses validity. If you have a "reliable" commute that is consistent over time, the SG calibration is fine.

PS - I am not complaining about the SG. It is a fantastic relative barometer of fuel consumption. But I think we need to understand it's limitations.

CarloSW2

I'd be OK with the SGII as is if need be, but I know I can get MUCH MORE out of this car if it was correct. I have an issue with highway driving it now (psychological) Basically if I'm going to get poor mileage I might as well go fast, it snow balls, and I end up like the average jack ass in about an hour.

I THINK that it works properly on MOST TDI's, BUT I could be dead wrong. This is primarily attributed to the fact that most people posting on TDI club are insistent that theirs is DEAD ON, they could be lying, or maybe only a few are dead on and they are the ones who post . . . . .. . .

And if it works on most cars I wish it would work on my car . . . ..
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon