View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #249 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
After two years this thread is still going!

So what has changed since I started this thread? I play my piano and sing my little songs, sip coffee and just do my thing. A vehicle, they say, is an extension of one's personality. So if they are being an a-hole by tailgating, then that is what THEY are. I am not going to be the same by changing my driving habits to reflect what the guy behind me wants me to drive.

I stay near the center or to the left of the lane I'm in til the car/truck approaches. I then make a purposeful but smooth move over to the fog line, flashers on, and maintain my hypermiling (more or less). I don't get charged up anymore if they pass in no passing zones, or worry that I was nearly killed when they use 3 feet of my lane when passing. There isn't going to be anything I can do about it anyway. I don't flip anyone off, nor do I give any dirty looks. I WILL most likely catch up with them at the next red light or train crossing.

If you can maintain your cool, resist the temptation for a brake check, and not instigate road rage or confrontation, then you are a better person for it. If they "don't get it" when you use flashers/hug the fog line, assume they are either inexperienced or just plain stupid; so don't expect them to react rationally about ANYTHING. Be an example of a good responsible driver. Let the cops take care of them down the road. I have witnessed this at least twice from folks passing me 80 in a 55 and/or passing in no passing zones. Quite the satisfaction. IMHO.