View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
I agree with Otto on the wheel boattails.

Splashguard Boattails

I would go to Homedepot and pick up some cheap pink insulation foam (polyurethane I believe). The lightest structure will be one built like a traditional boat: central backbone with ribs, all sheathed with foam stripping.

Sand and shape the sheathing, then apply a thin layer of fiberglass and epoxy resin. Once the outer shell has hardened, remove the skeleton and ribs. Using a depth gauge, sand out the foam sheathing to leave ~1/8-1/4" of material to be used as a core. Apply the same fiberglass layer on the inside as out.

The best method I've come up with for attaching the structure would be to use the original splashguard mounts, lay painters tape trailing the fender sheetmetal to protect the paint and apply tons of hot glue. Bolt up and "stick" the structure to the car and use colored duct tape or gap seal tape to smooth the transition.

Rear Bumper

If you decide to take this route, I would highly suggest using a spare bumper from a junkyard as this mod will be irreversible.

That rear indentation would be dealt with best through removal. If that indentation is gone, you have the perfect spot to create a rear diffuser. This will probably only be worth your while if you create a smooth and contoured underpan that spans the whole vehicle length first. In fact, I wouldn't even consider this mod until wheel skirts, front splitters, wheel boattails, and side skirts had been fully developed.

- LostCause