View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #420 (permalink)
kamesama980
the crazy guy in back

Cressy - '90 Toyota Cressida

Pickup - '91 Toyota Pickup base
Send a message via AIM to kamesama980
Did technical theater in high school, did it for 4 years at NIU for a major then decided it had no future and I'd had enough. Certainly wasn't going to exercise my brain other than patience. Of course we had to take lighting, costumes, scene design, acting, history/theory stuff but my main thing was building in the shop, rigging, and started to get into automation. It did give me a slightly different perspective on things than most mechanics, usually along the lines of they say "it'll be fine" I say "what if..."

Speaking of mechanics, that's what we're here for. I started dabbling with my cars as soon as I had a car to dabble with, I've always needed something to keep my hands busy and never had the money to pay a mechanic to fix them. the rest is history. After I got out of NIU I spent a semester figuring out what to do before going to the nearby community college for auto tech, got my Associates, now I'm working on my Bachelors at SIU in auto tech.

While I was going to com. college I was working in a shop (farm and fleet (not fleet farm) for fellow midwesterners). It kinda sucked because of the corporate bs associated with it but I've stopped by a few times and it's gotten 10x worse since I left (cameras, new rules, enforcing bs rules). Partially because of corporate partially because I'm not there helping lol. They're supposed to fire you at 3 write-ups (late, didn't do vacation time correctly, wasted 10 seconds to stand up and stretch) and I would have had 7 or 8 if they actually wrote me up. *wink wink* but anyway, it was a good learning experience: I don't want to spend my life wrenching in a shop which is why I'm (still) in school.
-2001 BMW R1200c
-1970 VW Beetle
-2015 Prius (for the wife)
"You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."