View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The thing about roomies, renters... hell, just about everybody, is that the second they aren't paying for something directly out of their pocket ALL CONSERVATION FLIES OUT THE WINDOW. I know for a fact that tenants will open a window in the winter to cool a room down before they'd ever consider turning the thermostat down. And in spite of being shown the math and other data, they'll plug their vehicles in every second they are parked at the house too. They'll run the wash machine and dryer for one article of clothing. They'll let the shower hot water run for 10 minutes before they step in so that everything is nice and toasty; then they'll turn on the vent fan and let that go until the next person comes in to shut it off. They'll forget range burners and ovens on. They'll stand in front of an open fridge forever, and they'll stick hot things in there to cool them down. Basically, people turn into slobs when they don't have to personally fork over for utilities. By that I mean, sure the utilities can be built into the rent, but then the utility costs become "invisible". I'd say, have a base rent charge then clearly present everyone with the utility bills and have everyone pay their share.
These are all my concerns too, but I simply don't have the patience to round everyone together and go over the utility bill every month and then hound people for money. This is the reason I'm looking for ways that force people to save on the utilities when they do use them. Since I will occupy the house as well, I can evict people for any reason I want. That is an option I would exercise if need be. Either that or raise the abusers rent.

I'll be creative when people are wasting energy. If they want to open the windows in the winter, I'll turn the stat down to 60. I can't complain if they take long showers though, as that is something I indulge in too.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!