View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jim-Bob
Junkyard Engineer

Super-Metro! - '92 Geo Metro Base

$250 Pizza Delivery Car - '91 Geo Metro Base
Team Metro
90 day: 43.75 mpg (US)

Fronty the wonder truck - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
Well, probably the best mod you could do would be to put in a taller final drive ratio. If memory serves, you have the worst final drive of all Metros with a 4.33:1. The lowest stock ratio is 3.54 and comes in certain 4 cylinder 5 speed cars. For the highway, that will be your best bet. It should also help the exhaust valves run cooler and lengthen their life. Burnt exhaust valves are the #1 killer of the Suzuki G10. Stainless steel valves are available from 3 Tech and should be considered mandatory whenever you have the head rebuilt. 3 Tech also has a fuel economy head package with a ported head, higher compression and a special economy cam grind. It is said to be worth 3-7 MPG depending on who you ask. I actually have them doing a head for me right now and will be building a new engine for one of my Metros once I get it back. I would also consider something like a Scangauge to help you learn to drive it better.

I don't have too many answers just yet though as I am only on my second day of driving a Metro and mine is used primarily for city driving. I only paid $250 for mine so as you can probably imagine it needs a bit of sorting before I will be able to get any real numbers out of it.

As a new Metro owner, I suggest you check out a few marque-specific forums like Geometroforum.com or teamswift.com. There are specific quirks these cars have and you would do well to learn about them. I also think you should buy a set of factory service manuals off of E-bay. They aren't that expensive and will be invaluable as you sort your car out.
No green technology will ever make a substantive environmental impact until it is economically viable for most people to use it. This must be from a reduction in net cost of the new technology, not an increase in the cost of the old technology through taxation

(Note: the car sees 100% city driving and is EPA rated at 37 mpg city)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim-Bob For This Useful Post:
fairdinkumfrankies (12-25-2010)