View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
fairdinkumfrankies
EcoModding Lurker

Yaris - '10 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 42.39 mpg (US)

Fiesta - '11 Ford Fiesta SE
I love all of these ideas. Lots to consider. It is going to take awhile to sort out which to do. The $10 air dam sounds good but the spoiler concept sounds great. Keeping budget in mind, I will go cheap first and move on from there. Drifting between the links from this site I have seen higher compression, steel valved heads being recommended. I was wondering if the eco minded folks would think that was a good idea and if so, at what point do you have to put in higher grade fuel? I think it said 9:1 and 10:1 or something like that. I know my 89 Swift GTI had a pretty high compression ratio but was running 86 octane with no issues.

The light wheels sound good to and I am now not leaning towards the skinny tyres. The rolling resistance article was informative. Now I am thinking 165/65 14 on a set of light wheels. The new rig is going to need snows so I will buy those for the steel OEM wheels in the 155/80 13 size.

I also liked the CAI idea. Would a heating pad for the block help here in the Northeast?

Thanks,

Neal