View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #125 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwroclaw View Post
How do you make get this box to Poland?
That will be the least of my worries. Shipping within the EU isn't expensive compared to the price of the transmission. More important is whether it will work, and whether I'll decide to go for it. If I do, it won't be earlier than in 2-4 years, maybe my P&Ging will break my tranny by then and I'll have an excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwroclaw View Post
I do not understand: what is your aim?
attune the engine?
have more elasticity?
Looking at the ratios for the 5- and 6-speed gearboxes it can easily be seen that 6th gear will not reduce my rpms by much (only 4-5%) at highway speeds, but I will be able to choose a better gear at speeds below 60 km/h.

Will swapping my trans for a 6-speed pay for itself? Most likely not. Selling the old box will partially offset the cost somewhat, but I doubt I'd see big FE impact. A 6-speed trans may help the average driver, but a hypermiler is already doing quite well with what he has. So this project is more of a theoretical exercise than really getting ready for a swap. But it is nice to know, just in case I suddenly need a new gearbox...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread