View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #106 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

As to clutches in the city, I recall decades ago reading about the operators of Checker cabs in NYC making the clutches last about forever. A great deal longer than 40k
If so, that is many, many decades ago. I was born in and have lived in NY City for almost six decades, and I've never seen a cab here that wasn't an automatic. Back in the 1950's and '60's there was less vehicle traffic than there is now. If manual transmissions are so wonderful for city use all the cabs would be using them. Unfortunately for your theory, the exact opposite is the reality of the situation.

Quote:
TRANSMISSION
While Checker offered a Warner Gear three-speed manual transmission with non-synchromesh first gear as the standard transmission for several years, it also made an overdrive version of that same transmission available as well as a Borg-Warner two-speed automatic similar to what Ford and AMC used at the time. The automatic became the standard transmission in late 1969, and Ben warns that they can be problematic unless taken to somebody experienced in those specific transmissions.

In about mid-1973, though, Checker substituted the brawny GM-built Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 three-speed automatic transmission for the Borg-Warner unit. The Turbo 400, well regarded among Chevrolet fans for its durability and ease of maintenance, would last as the sole transmission through 1982.

(from Hemmings Motor News: 1960-1982 Checkers)
Quote:
I doubt anyone is doing a good job when tires, brakes and clutch last less than 70k.
I'm lucky if I can get 30K out of a set of tires (and I always buy tires that have higher treadwear ratings). With brakes, it's about the same. And no, I don't ride the brakes. My driving style is that of trying to avoid having to brake. But with a stop sign on virtually every corner (and sometimes a cop car monitoring it), braking is a necessity as well as a nuisance. You can doubt all you want, but since you don't live under those conditions, you wouldn't know.