View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Tire swap and snow driving

OK so I was in need of tires after noticing a small leak from one and general dry rot happening on pretty much all of them. My fuel mileage has been suffering as of late and I blamed it on the tires weather and winter gas.

So when choosing a replacement and being on a budget as always I was trying to get the best deal I could I originally planned on 2 new tires to replace the worst offenders of the 4 slightly used for a cool $150 Yes I checked the dates on the ires and used my own measuring tool knowing what the factory tread was from their website theere was only 3/32 of wear

Now here is the change I was running 265/70/17 goodyeah wrangler HT I made a slight change and bought the 255/70/17 General HT. I don't do much driving and when I do it is at low speeds one issue I was having was a problem trying to get into overdrive it will not engage till I hit close to 45mph.

I should have been more sientific about this and did a measurement prior to the change but I am hoping that the slight difference in tire height will allow me to reach 4th gear but I doubt it due to the extra tread I now have and the bald larger tires.

It will be a few weeks seen as we had almost 30" of snow and I have been playing taxi for the last few days taking several health care workers to the Hospital a few miles from my home. 4wd kills mileage but I rather my friend and neighbors get to work safe. Local streets finally plowed just a few momments ago.

Is anyone else cringing about what their mileage will be driving in snow?

Photo taken half way through storm another 12" fell on top of this I used my ecofriendly shovel and not a snowblower

1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*