View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mario_Marques
Euro Golf 4 TDI s.e.

Golf4 tdi "115" - '01 VW Golf TDI Sport Edition
Diesel
Send a message via MSN to Mario_Marques
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
...This is good and bad. Bad because EGR always , always hurts power and fuel use, always. "...
EGR is good -
in a system that is functioning as designed
EGR does not reduce power output and EGR does improve fuel economy by recucing suction throttling loss .

the ECM does not allow EGR operation when power is needed or when the system is at idle .

so
those who defeat their EGR systems are
DECREASING THEIR FUEL ECONOMY and INCREASING NOX EMISSIONS
while
doing nothing to improve power output
it's true and I did the test on my own car for reasons of modification of the intake manifold, I had to remove my egr, immediately noticed the car's onboard computer a fuel consumption increase.
This increase is specially noticeable in winter, cold or city driving at low speed(when egr is working, at full throttle egr is closed).
But there is two sides of egr, some people has clogged egr's, when this happens, the fuel conumption increases more than if you dont have any agr, and ther's a(big in some cases) performance loss, it's not noticeable because its progressive whit the years, only noticeable when you clean the egr.

There is some examples os cars that i have cleaned and worked the egr and intake manifold:

By mario_marques at 2009-04-08

Cleaned:

Well, after i cleaned it my clients claim a very nice gain of power and less fuel consumption, the exhaust smoke also reduced for no smoke at all(diesel cars...), i also cleaned all intake pipes(and in those cases the intercooler because was dirty and has a lot of oil inside) and replaced the ccv filter.
This systems, egr, katalitic converter, dpf, etc are very nice but they need to be inspected and cleaned, if you dont clean it, you will spend on fuel a lot more than you pay for cleening them.
I also polished the egr(to prevent for get dirt again), i polished the intake manifold ducts and thermo coated whit ceramic tint(tho prevent them for eat and i've worked the air ducts(oversize them to match the engine head port, gains a little performance to, with more performance at low speed your fuel mileage will increase too )

Last edited by Mario_Marques; 12-29-2010 at 11:34 PM..