View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
SoobieOut
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
A company I run into regularly has the Connects.
Only issue we found is the back is a couple of inches too short for a ladder once the safty "wall" is installed.
Do you have any info of a solution?
Are they planning a diesel version ?
They would cut our fuel use by nearly 1/3
I figure half of us can fit in smaller vehicles, the other half carry too much.
We use ladder racks, I know, I know there goes your FE. Short of using a little giant, I doubt you can fit a regular step ladder inside.

Ford Transit Connect Ladder Racks from Adrian Steel

I have heard that the diesel for the Connect is only available in Europe, and gets 38 MPG! Seems like a broken record here with great FE engines only available in Europe. I don't buy the emissions story about why diesels are not available in the USA. I vote for a conspiracy theory once again. Who killed the diesel engine? Sounds like a great movie idea!!! From what I remember of the 1980's, General Motors did a hack job on producing a diesel engine from a stock gas small block chevy. Barely made it out of warrantee before blowing up. This soured the public on diesels in cars. GM has a positive genius at negative PR.
However if my house was heated with fuel oil I would want to keep the small diesels out of the USA too! Since #2 fuel oil and diesel are very close in pricing and uses.