View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
JasonG
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bob View Post
The lack of a competent, cheap compact truck on the market is why I still drive my 362,000 mile 1998 Frontier. It does everything I need it to without costing a fortune ( It was $11,500 when I bought it new-and it's a king cab with A/C!). I have towed cars with it, hauled building supplies, and put all manner of automotive detritus in it's bed. All that and it's just a cheap, 4 cylinder/5 speed 2wd truck. Sorry, but I don't think that you need to have an F-250 to do 99% of the things most people want a truck for. It's one thing if you have a 10,000 lb trailer to haul, but most people don't haul much more than some Jet Skis.
Exactly.
I know a guy in Florida that runs a metal supply business. You should see how much plate, angle, pipe, I beams, etc he loads in 90's Nissan and Toyota pickups. I think they have 2.0 or 2.2L engines.
We had an old Chevy S10 (really an Isuzu) we would load to the bed rails with firewood. Never squeaked.
It kills me to see 1 tons as grocery getters. On top of that the cost is insane.
My truck below is a 94. No leather, vinyl floor, no cassette, fleet white, I bought it in 96 for 12K.
A current Duramax would set me back ~30K because of all the luxury features I dont want.
To hook a Ford 4wd regular bed to a fifth wheel means modifing the trailer suspension because the bed is so deep and high.

Laugh all you want, but I worked out of a motorcycle for a time. Tools in left saddle bag, cordless drill in right, lunchbox and parts bungied to the sissy bar. I even did a panel change off of it.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!