Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #332 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
What you or I think of any particular paper matters not. What matters is if that paper convinces the people who actually know all about global climate change, and who have read 100's or 1,000's of papers on the subject, and have done related work.
But we're trying to tell you that it's not a scientifically driven movement, but a politically driven one. Science has been subverted to show one and only one outcome, and you're buying into it.

Worse yet, you're effectively treating AGW as a religion. You ask us to take things on faith, you appeal to the authority of those who must know oh-so-much more than us knuckle-dragging mouth breathers, and you refuse to entertain anything that might throw doubt on your beliefs. And, yes, they are beliefs, Neil.

Quote:
Of course the polar caps refreeze in the winter; I mean really? What the data show is that it is melting more and more in the summer, and freezing less and less in the winter.
And it's obvious you did not study the data. Well, coming from a guy who gets his scientific education from a television show, I guess it's par for the course.

Quote:
Have you ever watched a NOVA program? What are you worried about -- you get to see the actual in the moment work that they are doing, you get to hear the actual scientists speaking about what they are working on, you get to see the actual data they are collecting.
Yes, it was one of my favorite programs when I was a 12 year old.

Quote:
A science documentary is incredibly interesting to me, because I am very curious about how our world works. Seeing the passion that these people have for their work makes it all the more interesting.
Then go out and do some of this work. Passion isn't science, by the way. Science, true science, is filled with lots and lots of things the average person would consider to be boring or tedious. Science is also filled with all sorts of history where an idea, which was accepted by the mainstream, was overturned due to evidence that disproved that idea.

Quote:
...I promise I have not implemented any evil mind tricks to hypnotize you... Though if I could, don't you think I would have already?
I suppose that's more benign than -

Quote:
Nothing is perfect, but none of the big questions are in doubt. None at all. This is not me saying that -- it is the scientists.
And the dissenters? They are not real scientists?

Quote:
If you believe that any science is real, then you have to also trust this science.
This is an intellectually dishonest statement, if taken at face value for science. However, in a religious context, it makes sense to you.

Quote:
Anthropogenic global climate change is real, and the scientists are not making it up. It is already affecting things all over, and more change is coming -- you'll see.
Here's a news article filled with 8 failed predictions about catastrophic global change.

C'mon, Neil - prove me right about you treating AGW as more of a religion than a scientific theory.