View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3058 View Post
Exactly

Sorry Frank, on the opposite end of that one. If people are buying 14mpg rigs may the force be with them... more assembly line jobs, and automakers recover that much faster... If there was a market for 30mpg trucks, then automakers would be selling em already without a bureaucrat telling em to..
Not exactly, running a small business for years has taught me a couple things
1. Most people are very very ignorant and make absolutely no effort to know anything beyond their direct sphere of contact, even when told they don't remember it or remember it with the facts 100% opposite.
2. Most people will do what authority figures, media and other outlets tell them they should do, it takes a while but people tend to believe what somebody says they should do. If advertising suggests they should be driving an 22000lb 8x8 HET with a pickup box on the back they would do so.

At the moment I am having my 89 diesel suburban rebuilt as an 82 emission controlled 6.2 diesel with a 5sp double OD MT suburban. before the conversion it was not uncommon for me to get 26mpg highway with an auto (and loaded with a ton in the back). With higher gears, more air in the tires and a 5 speed stick I would estimate 30mpg is not out of reach. The 6.2's were built for fuel economy and a few of the blazers with 6.2s were rated for a time at 30mpg highway with airplane gears, sadly everyone has forgotten this, all on a rather bland platform and one that is not even optimally efficient either.

I am one of a group that would love to see a more reliable set of antique diesel big guys on the block. Most every big car and truck would benefit from a LOW COST relatively efficient diesel alternative. The old diesel 5.7's and 6.2s in their more reliable last generation versions would be on my want list, especially if improved further and remarketed. Some of the giant oldsmobiles with the NA 4.3 6 banger diesel netted in the 40mpg area, it always makes me wonder what could have been had they been done right the first time as opposed to right before being discontinued (like all GM products) A Current tech update to these old motors would likely net something very interesting, too bad GM had to screw them up before fixing them up nice.

Cheers
Ryan